Wednesday, March 6, 2013

NEVER STOP LEARNING

Furthering An Education

I love taking online courses not only to help prepare me for my writing or to open up new areas of employment after retirement, but also to keep me learning about things I'm interested in.

Last year I took an online class through Penn Foster focusing on Fitness and Nutrition. I enjoyed it since I was a member of a health club while I went through the class. I learned a lot and was even educated in medical facts which I struggled through taking the exams. I did get a good grade and got my certificate, but haven't retained much. I was going to write some articles or blogs (may still do this) about Fitness/Nutrition, but never got around to it.  At least I was able to learn for myself and my own health.  I briefly thought of going into a Wellness class, which may or may not be in my future.  I wish Penn Foster had the Relaxation Therapist course which is available through Stratford Career Institute - another distant learning school.

Instead, the Private Investigator course caught my attention.  I wish I would have went into criminal justice or other courses about law when I was just out of high school, but I had no interest in anything back then except for writing.  I'm proud to say I got A's on the first two exams and I've only been in the class for three days!  They will get harder from here on out, so I hope to keep doing well. I love the PI course so far. Been learning a lot about fraud and the scams that some people will try to pull off.  Amazing!  Doing research with pre-employment (regarding new job applicants) digging and finding people (lost loves or biological families) is something I'd like to pursue after retirement. Even working as an assistant would be great! 

These courses can get expensive, depending on the subject, but furthering your education is never a waste of money.  If you drop out, that's another story, but I'm determined to finish this one as well as I did my last. Once you find what interests you and get excited about learning a fascinating subject, do it! I cannot wait to see what else is in store about being a PI!  It may even help me with my mystery novel writing.

The reason I picked Penn Foster over Stratford Career Institute (I had a Creative Writing course through them), because I researched both websites and found that the Penn Foster site outlined their study units with more understanding and detail of the lessons. Anyone can compare the two and find out what works best for them. I have both links below.
Different subjects are available on these websites just for browsing.
http://www.pennfoster.edu/
http://www.scitraining.com/ (Stratford)

April 17 Update - I am now on the third module and carrying a 98% average!  Love the PI program and learning a lot about what you can and cannot do as an investigator, how the law works, and the history of court cases way before we had the rights we do now (right to counsel, having your property searched, etc).  This class even has me intrigued about other law programs.  Legal Transcriptionist is one I may or may not be able to do on my own - not sure it's a class where I need an instructor to physically teach this one or not, but it sounds interesting!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment